Are you missing our monthly orienteering events? The good news is that with the easing of restrictions, we are expecting to run a regular event on June 14 at a venue still to be decided. Stay tuned.
In the meantime, we have created at the Pine Forest a 'virtual' course that you can run at a time that is convenient to you. What is a virtual course you ask? And how does it work?
As usual there is a map with the course marked on it showing the start, finish and control locations. You make your way around the course as indicated by the control numbers and the connecting lines. But it is virtual because there are no markers at the control locations.
To verify that you have successfully reached each control point you need a smart phone (Android or Apple) with a GPS, and a free app called MapRunF. When you have completed the course you will have the option of uploading your result to a server so that you can compare your run with others.
So here's what to do:
1. Download and install the app from http://maprunners.weebly.com/
2. Run the app, tap Name, and enter your details
3. Tap Options and Settings and check out the range of options available. In particular you may want to turn off Automatically Upload Results. You can still manually upload the results later if you wish.
4. Tap Events Near Me and select the event you want to run (or you can select the event under Select Event > NSW > Armidale). In addition to the new course at the Pine Forest you will find some older courses at UNE that you can try if you wish.
5. Optionally, you can download a copy of the map so you can print it. You may find it more convenient to navigate with a paper version of the map and keep your phone in a pocket.
6. Go to the start area.
7. When you are ready, tap Go to Start and you are on your way. As you pass the start and each control point, the phone will beep and/or vibrate and the control circle will turn from purple to green.
8. If you get hopelessly lost you can zoom to your current position by tapping the location icon at the bottom left of the screen.
Armidale Pine Forest - Easy
Download the map here
The start for the course is at the Charlston Willows entrance just before Tilbuster Creek.
As the name implies this is an Easy-level course. All the controls are on or very close to tracks. Although there are some options to leave the tracks and go cross country, this is not recommended as the grass is very long at the moment and the tracks will be much faster. The main challenge is to follow the correct/best track.
If this type of course proves popular, more may be added in future.
ONSW will cancel the ONSW sanctioned events in Eventor until end September.